Thursday, April 26, 2018

SCOREKEEPER

It's a gorgeous Sunday afternoon, My wife is tending the garden with her normal loving care she gives to anything she loves. Our beautiful boy is going through my golf clubs in the grass, learning about weight, length, grip textures, and impact with a golf ball; and I, well I am going through the 50 plus scorecards that I kept from as young as 13 years old to this last year at 29. These scorecards are from anytime I played golf but I must say, I realized something that was just too fascinating not to share.

As I looked and analyzed these scorecards one by one, amazing memories started to come back to me. On each score card, it tells you the Golf Course name and location, but even better is my own handwriting of the names that also played golf with me on that day.

I saw the name Kyle often. Well, a penciled in name brought back memories that I knew I would never get to replicate but also I knew I am thankful for those memories. While Kyle is no longer here on this planet physically, I was able to go back and think of the many times he and I played in the summer. He had a horrible slice but the best smile while I could hit it straight and not come close to his happiness. Memories that I cherish.

Brett, another name I saw. This would be my cousin who moved to Alaska but I realized how much we spent time together. We played with my dad and my uncle one day, my uncle who is no longer with us. I remember Uncle Zaine being happy that day. Memories that I get to keep forever.

Vince, Andy, Stevie, and Dixon - My high school friends who grew up with more money than I can even imagine but never once were boastful about it. They took me in, the kid from the other side of town, and welcomed me to their crew. We played a lot of golf together and basketball which then led me to remember the time we played one day and then finished it off at a football game I believe at the Orange bowl or at a Marlins game. On our way home, Vince found out his Dad who was his best friend died suddenly due to a heart attack. We were with him when he received the news and could do nothing for him. A pill that was tough to swallow and to see him the next couple months just made you feel so bad for him. A memory I lost until I saw this scorecard.


Justin and Larry, longtime friends who were one of my go-to guys to hang out with along with Armando and Joe. A memory that told me that we were there for one another.

Foursomes with my Mom, Dad, and brother. I honestly forgot about them due to the break up with my parents but when I looked at these scorecards memories came flowing in. At the time, it was great family bonding with always a little arguing due to the competitive nature with my brother and I. We would play on Easter, Mothers Day, and Fathers day almost religiously. Memories that molded me into who I am.

Then I had some with just my mom after the breakup. The memories that came with those scorecards were heartache for a lady that lost her loved one, and I was left to pick up the pieces of a fallen lady. We made the most of it, on the golf course. Memories are not always rainbows and butterflies.

There are plenty of scorecards with my dad. I remember just wanting to beat him, ALWAYS. I thought he was so good that If i could beat him then i would be good, that he would be proud of me. He would be patient with me if I lost my cool because i was playing bad. I also remember, he would say yes anytime Iwanted to play. Memories that get taken for granted.

I randomly have one just of my mom and dad playing together. My dads best score on all the score cards was that one. No comment on that one.

The funny thing is, the scores didn't bring back memories but the names did. I realized that is how life goes. Keeping score is momentarily while whats behind your name lasts forever.

I know one day, Gabriel will not want to hold my hand or not give me a kiss ( I might ask him 1,000 times a day for) or want to play with me but rather play with his friends. I know that. But by knowing this I take every single second with him for what it is worth. It is worth everything.

So here I am turning 30. Not a big number, not a 50 or 70 or 100 number but a number that when i think of those memories I am very thankful for.  I am thankful for the 10 plus years of endurance training with great friends. I am thankful for my job.

I am most thankful for my wife. God gave me her in a grocery store close to 5 years ago. He said to both her and I, today is the day the Lord has made, now you both go and rejoice and be glad. Live your life together and make that rock for your children. Nothing else matters except your love towards me and your love for one another. Any one who understands that will know and they will be great friends with you.

There will be great challenges that lie ahead for Jen and I and our family. Life is all about challenges. That is where God comes in. He will pick us up whenever we call.

Those scorecards were kept for a reason that I never knew until now. The Memories.

Back to watching the handsome boy going back and forth from mommy in the garden feeding him kale and lettuce, to daddy cleaning his clubs after a run and about to mow. Everyday is a memory for the future. As I did not throw away those scorecards, I will not throw away today so my future wont be memory-less. 

My Brother calling it quits at hole 16. Haha, nothing changes with him and Im glad. Because he is perfect the way he is.

Me, Vince, and Andy - We would talk mostly about College basketball 

Kyle must have got tired the back 9


Mom and I played alot as therapy

My Dad's best score.





Brett with the perfect 100!

My Dad beat me, alot!
Me, Justin, Mike, Larry - good times

Dad and I
One of the nicest courses in the mountains with Mom and Mike A.

Jen bought him this outfit, my wife is pretty BA




xoxoxoxo
Too blessed to stress
Family
Heartbeat




No comments:

Post a Comment