Thursday, July 4, 2013

TRAINING UPDATE

Good day everyone! Today is the 4th of July and it is rainy and dark. Which it has been this way for the last 7 days. I like it actually. When I went to Seattle Washington last year for a race, I had the pleasure to stay with locals there for a week and fell in love with the weather. Then again, I love our weather here in NC. All four seasons. Growing up in FL for 18 years, the one season atmosphere just was too boring for me and the heat was brutal sometimes.

Also, today- my bro is alone out on the boat on Duty(his fiance is a trooper and is at home doing her thing), my mom is alone, and my dad is alone. Definitely hurts when your so used to Holidays being all about family and doing whatever it was just as long as we were together. I look back and think about some arguments here and there but at the end of the day, I would take those any day over this feeling of knowing my family is all alone. But, thats life and you can only accept it. Plus, God is right next to me! :)

The last week or so of training, I have really dialed in on race specific workouts. Any race you enter in, make sure you do race specific training days. You never want to go into a race with any doubts. 

So I have been doing some swim/run workouts. Its definitely a different feel than your tradional swim/bike or bike/run. I also am implementing alot of speedwork. Im not doing a half marathon or marathon after the swim or the bike. Im doing a 10k and a 5k. Therefore, speed is crucial. Most of my training is 10k speed. If I do 5k speed training, then I might have a good 6-7k in the 10k portion of the race but the last 3k I will probably bonk since I wont have the endurance part. Same goes with the 1500m swim and 750m swim. Most of my swim training will be for the 1500m so I know i can maintain a good pace for the entire distance rather than just 1k of it. 

For instance, today- July 4th, I woke up at 4.30am- swam a 4k set with SwimMac Masters who are awesome and our coach is amazing. Then went to a local 5k to race in the middle of a 8mile run. I also wanted to cheer on one of the kids I coach who is 11 in which he did a 23min 5k... Then after 3 hours of yardwork, I did hard 1 hour bike session with a 3x8min workout in the middle and the goal was to hold a certain wattage. Which surprisingly went really well. So, today was one of those race specific days. Tomorrow i will run an easy 4miles and do some strength training so I can prep for my Saturday workout ;)

Here are some pics for you!

After a hard 23mile Time Trial bike, I had to stop and take this pic...


Long run with some awesome people, plus- that female is ranked in the top 15 in USA in the Half Marathon distance and can run a sub 2.33 marathon!

During this time of training, i read alot. No TV, just read.. However, Sox gets restless and looks at me like this, b/c he wants to play


After a swim workout on the 4th, in compression tights recovering with coffee and watching videos to get ready for my 8mile run w/ the 5k race in the middle



Our "That was painful" expression, and our "Lets Do it again!" expression. One of the kids I coach who I absolutely Love!




My front yard is getting there. Again, no tv means reading and yardwork to keep me busy!


My new backyard project. Love coffee out here, and Sox loves it too!




Thanks FiltersFast/Hammer Nutrition/Lululemon
refrigerator water filters



1 comment:

  1. Good stuff, Greg! It's been 9 years for me of spending a lot of holidays away from the family, so I feel your sadness!
    I love your passion, attitude, and dedication to training. Keep at it bud, this journey to London is something that in the end will be more special than the race itself.
    I love that kid's "pre" t-shirt! Way to inspire those young people.

    ReplyDelete